Sunday, December 31, 2006

Saddam Hussein hanged

Almost 4 years ago, I arrived in the US in the middle of the debate about whether to go to Iraq, and French fries were not free yet...Then the war started. I became a bit wary about walking around the neighborhood as I saw American flags and signs supporting the troops sprouting in every garden (and that was in liberal San José). Then Saddam Hussein was found hiding in a hole and everything was supposed to get better; mission accomplished. Since then, things hadn't gotten better, something that looked like a civil, sectarian war had settled in Iraq, and Saddam Hussein was sometimes auditioned. What was at stake then? Justice, the premises of Iraqi democracy, the truth about all that had taken place in Iraq since Saddam Hussein had been in power. Then, suddenly, Saddam Hussein was held responsible for crimes against humanity, and sentenced to death. One day later, he was hanged...This execution has stirred a lot of debate already, from pro and anti war governments, religious authorities, Christian and Muslim. Personally, I'm against the death penalty in general, for several reason. My first reason is, there's no way back in case of an error. Second reason, I judge it almost as barbaric as the initial crime itself. I consider that imprisonment, associated with a severe restriction of rights, is a good enough punishment. However, I accept it in some cases, even though I would not advocate it. My arguments are that sometimes the guilt is well proven, as it is the case for Saddam Hussein, that, in some cases, the criminal won't learn anything from his/her imprisonment, and thus the society shouldn't pay for his/her life in jail, or that the crime is just too horrible (as it is for crimes against humanity) to justify his/her being kept alive. What bothers me in the Saddam Hussein case though, is how fast he's been condemned and executed. I don't think this is how Justice should be rendered, it's not a good sign for Iraq, and I would have liked the investigations to go further and tell us more about the links between Iraq and, in particular, western countries such as France (my country), the US, Russia, etc...
Lastly, I'm very uncomfortable about the fact that a video of the execution has been taken and released on the internet, and that some people would like to watch it, which is another sign of barbarism to me.

No comments: